Turquoise Front Door

When inspiration hits, do you jump on it and act immediately? Or do you dwell on it for days just to make sure you’re making a wise decision?  Well, when this idea hit, it was like someone yelled…
CHARGE!!!
Just a few short days ago my front door was black.  It was a nice front door…just a little typical and expected.
The idea came about when my husband’s cousin, Sherryl, asked me to help her choose a turquoise paint color for the front door of her new house.  I told her up front that I liked the idea so much that I just might end up with a turquoise door as well! She did not mind at all that I was going to blatently copy her idea!  Once the idea took root, I just couldn’t get it out of my head!
Our inspiration was this cabinet Sherryl found at an antique mall.  The booth owner graciously told us the color was Benjamin Moore #2038-30 Aruba Blue.
So, after some serious contemplation (I gave it at least 24 hours), I was off to the paint store for some Sherwin Williams #6941 Nifty Turquoise.
I have to admit after the first coat of paint was on, I was having a bit of painter’s remorse. (Who knew turquoise could be so bright and intense?) But…knowing I was going to glaze the door kept my spirits up and me persevering!
(We used a baby gate to keep our escape-artist dogs in the house while the paint dried.)
I have done quite a bit of glazing, but after several failed attempts to achieve the right results I decided to ask the pros.  I headed over to a local, family owned paint store. (Munger Paint and Wallpaper – if anyone is in the OKC area.)   After listening to my dilemma, the employee suggested these products to create the glaze. I mixed the Modern Masters Extender with the Benjamin Moore paint in a 4 to 1 ratio. 4 parts extender to 1 part paint.

I brushed the glaze on in small areas and then wiped it off to get the look I wanted. Sorry, but I was so intent on this process, I forgot to take pictures!

Ok, so here’s a very important tip!  When I have left tape on a piece for a few days, even good painter’s tape, I use an exacto knife or blade to cut the tape away from the paint. This keeps the paint from “tearing” away if it hasn’t cured completely.  It is better to be safe than sorry!   (Look how green the turquoise looks in this picture and how blue it looks in the ones below!)  Flash vs no flash!
Here’s an up close view of the glazing.
I guess I can no longer say I have a typical front door!
I love my new front door! And this time, I am so glad I “charged” ahead with an idea.  Sometimes, you just have to trust your instincts and go with it!  It doesn’t always work…oh, but when it does, it’s great!
What about you? When was the last time you “charged” ahead when inspiration hit?
EDIT: Door is solid wood purchased at General Builders Supply.
UPDATE: To see more of our home’s exterior and read about repainting our shutters visit…
Home (2)
Have a Wonderfully Blessed Day!
Visit thecsiproject.com
This entry was posted in Exteriors, Glazing, Our Home, Power of Paint, Turquoise, Turquoise Door. Bookmark the permalink.

132 Responses to Turquoise Front Door

Sooo pretty Sonya! I would borrow this idea as well but honestly we would get a big nasty letter in the mailbox from our HOA.

2. Gypsy Heart says:

I just love it! Thanks for sharing the info about the glaze also. I have a bookcase that I’ve wanted to paint turquoise but I’m hesitant…not “charging” ahead. :-) Now, I think I’ll get ‘er done.

3. I love the turquoise door!

4. Lisa says:

Dear Sonya: Your new front door looks fabulous! I love the part in your post where you say the “we” really means the “he” as your husband did the painting. Same goes on in my house – hubby is the muscle behind each project and I like to think of myself as the ‘creative mind’ (lol). Charging ahead sure paid off because your door colour is just perfect!
    Lisa@SuburbanRetreat

5. Ok it is prefect. I wouldn’t think a turqoise door could work without looking like Santa Fe, but boy does it. You are very busy these days.

6. Pattie says:

I love it! And its so funny you did this post now because I went trash picking last nite and picked up a beautiful old front door and guess what color it was?….turquoise! LOL!
    Thanks for showing us your project.
    Pattie @ On Hollyhock Farm

7. Kim says:

Oh, Sonya! Leave it to you to come up with something that is both different and classic. You did a wonderful job, I love that you chose turquoise, it’s a great inspiration. *hugs*

8. Ooooo! LOVE IT! It’s funny, I just bought turquoise paint samples while we were in Burlington on Sunday. I’m going to test them out for our latest CL find, a tv console/cabinet. I’ll have to remember this color in case the ones I picked out don’t work!

9. Reinspire says:

WOW! Your door looks amazing! I love the punch of unexpected and you distressed it perfectly! This belongs in a magazine for sure!!!
    Lisa

10. PERFECTION!!! I love it! I love your bravery! I am going to pray if we keep blogging long enough it will rub off on me;)!

A friend of mine that used to live in our neighborhhod had an antiqued blue door and everyone would stop and ask them about it it was gorgeous…but your turquoise door is waaaayyy better! Your whole entrance is beautiful…plants…wreath…mat and all!

WONDERFUL!

Enjoy!
    Cathy

11. La says:

Sonya! Your door looks phenomenal! The original door was pretty, but this is so much better. It now has the WOW factor. Great job!

Like everything in my life, I mull everything over and over and over. La

12. Alicia says:

I popped over from Under the Table and Dreaming and wanted to say, It’s absolutely beautiful.

13. Angie says:

It is totally fabulous! Good for you that you went with your gut!

14. Honey I fly by the seat of my pants on a daily basis…sometimes with wonderful results and sometimes….not so much! lol

But your door is DIVINE!!! Great job and great idea! LOVE IT!

Lou Cinda :)

15. I love it. The glazing makes all the difference. (By the way, when you visited our house in NC, did you have withdrawal from seeing no color?) Ha! Maybe we’ll be more bold in the next house…

16. I really feel the need to paint my door now. It is so boring, yours looks great!

17. michaela says:

Genius! I don’t care if you got the idea from someone else, your execution is perfection! I was literally not expecting to be so blown away! It is amazing the difference a color can make!

Sonya, the door looks GORGEOUS! I love the color and the glazing.

19. GORGEOUS!!! Love every little thing about it. Well done:)

20. I can not believe I have not thought of glazing a front door, I do this with furniture all the time… It looks better than great. I am not a blue person and I really like it. I am now thinking of other colors that would work for my own door… thanks!!!

21. Great job!! I hope you remember to seal the door. The Modern Masters is not an exterior rated finish. Use the Modern Masters Exterior Sealer. The exact name escapes me, email me, and I can get the name. Love the color!!!

22. Pat says:

I love the new look of your door. The turquoise is fabulous!

23. Gloria Fox says:

I LOVE your door! Gorgeous!!! And so not the typical door that everybody in the neighborhood has. Great job on the glazing too.

24. Rayanne says:

You did a GREAT job on glazing. I love that color.
    So glad I found your blog via Cathy at Mille Fleur.

25. Your front door looks fabulous. I love the color and the glazing looks wonderful. I need to be more brave. Hugs, Marty

26. Wowser… that front door is GORGEOUS! I am also impressed with the glazing you did. You should be very proud.

27. WOW! So beautiful! I adore your home. I’ll be back to visit your amazing blog often.

It’s nice to meet you Sonya!
    Warmly, ~Melissa :)

28. Nezzy says:

What a way to make your entry pop with welcoming shouts!!! This Ozark farm chick usually ponders over such things until I’m sure. There was once when Farm Boy was out of town I decided to paint the dark panelin’ in our utility room a yellow tinted sand color. I have to say I loved it from the get-go and am so glad I just charged ahead.

God bless and have a colorful day from the happy hills and hollers of the Missouri Ponderosa!!!

29. It really turned out great! I love the color and your bravery. I’m sure the initial color was a shocking change from the black. It’s so pretty.

30. Your door is just beautiful, Sonya! I admire how you just ‘went for it’! I’ll be back to see what you are up to!

xoxo
    Janie

31. Linda says:

Just hopped over from Mille Fleur~ I love your wonderful door and your beautiful blog…I am a new follower!

32. Marydon says:

G’day Sonya ~
    Cathy just sent me over … you have a keen eye for elegant design. I love the flash of colors.

I am joining you now …
    Have a beautiful day ~
    TTFN ~ Hugs, Marydon

Sonya, I just came over from Cathy’s also. :) Your work is amazing! I saw on your profile page that you graduated from UCO. Do you live in Edmond? I do! If you are selling your goods I’d love to know where.

Stacey
    snskee@aol.com

34. Kacey says:

Your door is fantastic! I would love to have a turquoise door. It looks beautiful!

35. Wow! First of all, I have to say that I did love your front door in its black attire, but this looks fantastic. You are very brave, Sonya! I am guessing the hubby was okay with this. Sheesh, and I feel like I’m climbing Everest just by getting ready to paint my white front door black! : )

36. Nancy says:

Oh, I am loving your door! The paint job/finish looks fantastic!

Nancy

37. Amy Kinser says:

That door is WOW gorgeous. I love the color and the glaze is great. I would love to have that beauty on my front porch greeting everyone as they enter.

Partying with you…

38. Tanya says:

I received an award for Versatile Blogger, in turn I am awarding it to you! Check it out at johnsonfamily23.blogspot.com

39. Ashley says:

OH MY GOODNESS! I LOVE IT. I have a pretty blue front door too…I might just glaze it now. I LOVE IT. Oh wait, did I already say that? haha. Seriously, my favorite I have seen in a while. P.S. I came over from Shabby Chic Cottage’s Transformation Thursdays.

40. I am IN LOVE with that door!!!! Wow! Thanks for sharing your “creative mojo” with me on Thrilling Thursday. I hope you will be back again soon :)
    ~Lori S.
    Thrilling Thursdays @Paisley Passions

41. JB says:

Sonya…oh my goodness..I love you and I love your ideas..you are so talented…and I love your front door…what is the color around the trim of the door…? thank you for your inspiration…you made my day! Jill

42. Carolyn says:

I LOVE It!!! Thanks for the tips too.

Carolyn

43. Teri says:

Your door may not be typical, but it sure is gorgeous! I wish I could that to mine.
    Blessings,
    Teri

44. I love the color and glaze on the door. Thanks so much for the idea. I have been wanting to change ours to a terra cotta color and I believe that and glazing will look great. Thanks for the inspiration.

45. Melinda says:

You are so talented and creative. I love your door! You give me such inspiration but I’m one to sit on an idea and ponder it a while. I may borrow your color or call you for help with mine. Melinda D.

46. Perfect color choice! Beautiful.
    Machelle

47. Tardevil says:

Love the color! Would love to do that to mine, but the Architectural Committee probably wouldn’t like it. Love the door too w/ the glass.

48. What a fantastic door. You did a wonderful job!

Stop by and collect your clues. The largest giveaway in Decor To Adore history will be revealed next Friday.

49. I absolutely LOVE your front door!!!!! GORGEOUS!!!!! Thanks for the inspiration!!! :)

50. Mikey says:

I did something similar on a whim–I have a beautiful pink front door!

51. Stopping by from Inspiration Friday! I LOVE this door. I don’t think I could do it but I love how it looks! I am one that tends to think it over for a long while and then all of a sudden I get the charge mode!! Crazy! I was lucky that I painted the inside of our door black!!

52. Lacey says:

This is absolutely fabulous! Beautiful work!

53. kluless says:

Your door turned out absolutely perfect! Inspiration like that are the ones that always make you wonder why you didn’t think of it sooner. That door was just MEANT to be that color. Wonderful.

54. Melanie says:

Amazing … I want to copy too!

55. Brenda Kula says:

I love the door! What an eye-catcher. Hey, I raised my girls in Norman and went to OU.
    Brenda

56. I love, love, love your door. At one point I wanted to paint my front door black but now I’m thinking of a different color. Thanks for the inspiration.

57. Love, love, love ! I painted a little stool that colour but don’t think I would be brave enought to take on a front door. It looks incredible…! :o)

58. Sue says:

Your door looks fantastic! Reminds me of an English cottage!

59. Ginger says:

That is just so wonderful! I’ve been thinking about painting my front door for a long time and even have a can of turquoise paint left over from another project. You’ve given me the inspiration! Thank you!

60. Tricia Rose says:

That is wonderful – the glaze makes all the difference.

61. This is beautiful–hmmm, tempting me to change my door. Thanks for linking up to Beyond The Picket Fence’s Under $100 Party!

62. Susan says:

Your door is beautiful!!

63. Lindy says:

Great color! I love the glaze. You are very brave but I guess that’s what makes a great designer! I love it.

64. Wow,it looks beautiful! You are so lucky that your cousin didn’t mind that you re-did your door like she wanted to do. It really looks nice.
    Best regards,
    Gloria

65. I had a turquoise door on my previous house…and now you’ve got me thinking that it’s about time I repainted the one where we’re living now! Turquoiuse it is!!!

66. Outstanding! I’ve long thought I wanted something ‘different’ about my front door and felt the secret was glazing for a long while now. And you’ve convinced me it can even be a wild colour. Your door is gorgeous!

Donna

67. Look at your blog go…congratulations!!
    I have just finished painting my front door blue when I stopped by…I love your door!
    I also brought my daughter by to see the shoes and the mirror…oh, I so look forward to this season of my life again…oh, well, for now I will enjoy yours.
    Thanks for sharing!!

68. I was about to paint my door turquoise too! Now its full speed ahead. love the door and thanks for the tips

69. Fabulous! The glazing makes it look almost distressed. Perfect choice to soften the turquoise! And since turquoise is THE color this year, what a great idea for your front door!

Would love for you to stop by tomorrow and link it up to Passion for Paint!

70. Fabulous! The glazing makes it look almost distressed. Perfect choice to soften the turquoise! And since turquoise is THE color this year, what a great idea for your front door!

Would love for you to stop by tomorrow and link it up to Passion for Paint!

71. Your door rocks! And you are so brave, cause the first color is the scary part. I am a bit chicken to do the bright color first when I think about doing anything like this project.

72. Erin says:

What an unexpected surprise!! It is absolutely gorgeous!

73. Hi!
    Obviously everyone loves your door!!
    So do I!
    I am over here visiting you from Cathy-Mille Fleur, and I’ll tell you what I told her–I am so glad she shared you with us!
    I have a red door that I love.
    But it’s time for something different.
    I found a teal-grey paint color sample I loved last week, and have been debating and delaying and deciding if I should paint it.
    I will do it now!
    You gave me the courage :)
    Hugs and much grace and many blessings to you as you make your home!
    Hugs,
    ~me

74. I love it!!! You really did a great job!!! Thanks for joining in on Show and Tell this week!

75. Sarah says:

Hi Sonya,
    Your turquoise door is just perfect!
    I just found your blog by accident & I am HOOKED!
    Have hit the follow button & can’t wait to see what other projects you do!
    S. x
    Australia

76. Wow–Amazing door transformation and beautiful glaze job! I’ll be following you!

77. WOW! This is stunning! You did a amazing job! I’m new to blogging and can’t wait to see what you post next. I’m your new follower!

78. Sue says:

Sonya, This transformation is wonderful! The color and style remind me of growing up in New Mexico and the seeing the use of turquoise for both trim work and doors on those luscious adobe homes. The change is amazing and I love black doors! ~ Sue

79. Gotham says:

the color is so cool and so is your design, i love the way you have done this door and i also admire your courage as you broke the norm and went for something new, even the cabinet looks fabulous, the way you have set it up!!

x0x0x0 AboutCabinets Blog

80. shirley says:

I absolutely love it! I have been wanting to change my big, old, boring brown door forever. I was thinking of painting it maroon but….Only thing is my house is cream-ish siding. Any suggests amazing lady??

81. Thanks so much for linking up to Passion for Paint. Hope you’ll stop by again some weekend with another great project!

82. Thanks so much for linking up to Passion for Paint. Hope you’ll stop by again some weekend with another great project!

83. Absolutely GORGEOUS! What a fantastic idea! I just LOVE it! It makes such a statement and completely changes the look of your entry! Great job!!

84. Wonderful work!! Still loving this door and so happy to see it shared with so many others!! Hope you found a great sealer for it!! Thanks for stopping by and taking thyme to leave a comment!! I hope you will check back often as I have some great projects in store!!

Happy Painting and until next Thyme..

Karen

85. How brave of you! It turned out wonderfuly gorgeous. So good for you!

86. Cristie says:

Very bold, very beautiful!

87. Love, love the door. You did a beautiful job. I love turquoise! Thanks for sharing.

88. LOOOVVVEEE it! I am on a turquoise kick myself right now!
    Have a pretty day!
    Kristin

89. how awesome is that?!?!? i love it! wow- what a way to make a grand entrance!

90. how awesome is that?!?!? i love it! wow- what a way to make a grand entrance!

91. Oh, I love your turquoise front door! Fantastic look.

92. Wow, this is so cool. Good for you for having the courage to do something so fun & bold! Thanks for sharing.

Warmly, Michelle

93. per-fec-tion!! love it! -denise

94. I just wanted to stop by and say I had plans for the last year to paint my door {brown} but after seeing this I was inspired to go Turquoise, mine didn’t turn out as fabulous as yours, but I still love it! Thanks for the inspiration!

95. Well, BEAUTIFUL is about all I can say. As I said before, we have the same color scheme going on inside our homes. I also have a beautiful black door with wrought iron metal twist with fleur-de-lis inside the glass. I love this door, but don’t think I have the courage to do this. Maybe I will think about it awhile. Yours look FABULOUS. Love your blog.
    Thanks, Denise

96. That door is beautiful!!! What color is your glaze?

97. N. says:

This is fabulous! I googled “turquoise front door” because I’m thinking of doing the very same thing, and voila! Your blog was the first page I looked at. Now I’m even more inspired and motivated to do this!

98. Bella says:

ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT, THANK YOU for sharing it with us new readers again, otherwise I may have never seen this BEAUTY!!!

Please link this up as well, **AMaze me AUgust** after all this is TRULY AMAZING…..

Bella :)

99. Emily says:

I unfortunately rent, but this is definitely something that I will bookmark to do when we purchase a home shortly. However, I can apply this to my hutch at home in the meantime. I am a big scrapbooker, but I apply this technique to my papers also.

Thanks for sharing!

100. Julie says:

You definitely did a great job on this. It looks fabulous!

101. Rhonda says:

I love your door… and have a feeling I will be copying you soon! I seriously have been wanting a turquoise door, but wasn’t sure how to make it work.
    Questions… do you think this could work on a metal door? Did you paint both sides of your door this color? And did you add the glaze to the trim around your door? (It looks darker than your before picture)…
    Thanks!!

102. Chelsea says:

this door rocks!

103. I just popped by to look at the door again!
    Will you let me in? It’s cold out here!

104. robyn says:

I love your door!!! Would you mind posting …or emailing me (robyn@hutts.us) a picture of the whole front of your house? I’ve been trying to get my hubby to let me paint our door turquoise..and he cannot picture it at all! I’d love to see the whole picture to show him! Thanks! :)

105. InMyOwnStyle says:

Hi Sonya-

What a great look! I think front doors look best when they are a bold color. Your door is beautiful to begin with and now with the color it is just fabulous. I bet you are going to start seeing some similar color doors popping up in your neighborhood.
    My best- Diane

106. Rhiannon says:

this is absolutely GORGEOUS!!! I LOVE IT!
    I wish I could do that but it would cause a roit in my neighborhood… Im not joking

107. courtney says:

i was so inspired by your door! check out my cabinet:

thanks for the inspirations!

108. Lindy says:

I still love this door. I’m working on a historic building that was donated to a non-profit preservation group I started. We’ll be making it into a book exchange and I’m planning on copying your door. I really want it to make a statement. I’ll have to share a picture when were done!

109. Rhonda Elder says:

I love it too! My customers are really getting into turquoise here in West Texas. You can see some of my work here: http://www.thewetpaint.com/ or here:http://www.facebook.com/wetpaintdecorativepainting

110. crystal b. says:

Loooove your door, you talented woman you!!!! I have this color all over my house. Everything is turquoise with a glaze. I wish I could do my front door too — but we have homeowner’s association rules. :( I want to know if you made all the drapery treatments in your gallery. They are stunning!

I would just love having you as a neighbor — we would have a blast. And . . . we could watch Jane Austin movies together!!

x0

Crystal B

111. Tom says:

I love it!! This is what I have been looking for! I do have a question though…is the base SW 6841 or BM 2038? Can’t wait to get started!! Thank you for sharing!!
    Stacy D

112. wesome front door! I’ve been looking at pictures of hundreds of front doors trying to decide on a color. I have a red brick house with white trim. I’m thinking about adding a fiberglass dentil molding trim with pilasters around the door. Not sure what accent color on the trim would be good.

Love your paint color! My front door is a steel door. Is your door wood? Wondering if it’s possible to glaze a steel door?

113. Love the door.
    I am a new follower

114. Amy says:

Don’t remember how I arrived at your blog but…glad I did! I’m an Oklahoman too!! LOVE the Turquoise Door! We just built a new home but the hubby would turn inside out if I tried something like this! Let me give it another year or so! I’ll save the link!! :)

115. Emil Andrew says:

I like the color, really refreshing. I would like to have the same color like you for my cabinet. Thanks for the idea…

116. tendrplace says:

I love it. One of my fav colors. If I only had my own house and someone would teach me to glaze I’d have so much fun (do they make instructions “glazing for dummies?”
    Your door makes me feel ‘happy’

117. Regina says:

I’m so glad I ended up here at your blog.
    I’m sorry but as you told Sherryl, I love this idea so much that I want do the same.
    When we bought our house the door was white. First I painted it dark green, and now it’s light yellow. I’ve been looking for a color to have it painted again since spring, and now I’ve found it – I want my front door turquoise – that’s it!

118. Graham says:

I think you make a great decision. Using this color for your front door is quite fancy. I usually need few days to think about getting it done or not. Kinda wasting time, right?!

119. Gave this post a shout out today! Gorgeous door!!

120. Isla says:

Gorgeous color! Like it very much!!

121. citicasita says:

Thanks for coming by and commenting. I love your door and the distressing. My door was Paris Blue, then red. The homeowners association told me I had to keep it white. So my plan is to keep it white, alright, but I’m going to distress it and make it look weathered and see what they’ll say to that!

Thanks for sharing,
    Diddie

122. aarond says:

Love your home and my sister would love the front door. I hope you will stop by my NEW blog and join me to read about life as a farm girl. It’s all about farm life, decorating, cooking, animals, and lots more

123. Lewis says:

Excellent look!! After reading several times I have 3 simple questions: Did you first paint the black door using full strength turquoise? Then, followed with the mixture as stated? If so, how did the brownish-hue develop?

124. Yes, Lewis, I painted the black door turquoise. The turquoise is was very intense. The glaze is used to tone down the color and give it age. The mixture you mentioned is the glaze/extender combination. The glaze is what gives it the “brownish hue”.

125. Lynsey James says:

Thank you so much for this inspiration! My formerly red door is now a beautiful turquoise! I’ve got the first coat of glaze on and am thinking it needs at least two more. Do you recall how many glaze coats you did? Thanks again!

• Lynsey, I only did one coat of glaze. I did use an artist brush on some of the more awkward areas (like around the handle and lock) and add additional glaze but only one coat of glaze was necessary.

• Lynsey James says:

Thank you for the quick reply! I did one more coat and I think it’s perfect. I spent the better half of the evening just staring at the door, admiring it! Thanks again for the great idea!

126. Hi, completely LOVE your door! You and hubby did a fab job! Curious about paint choice, why you chose the Nifty color vs the Aruba Blue. Was the Aruba Blue too green? I would like to know your thoughts about the colors before I run out to purchase paint. Thanks so very much. I think my two front doors are going be looking much like yours!!! Thanks for sharing with us!

127. Cedar Tree Lane…Thank you! I wish I had a specific answer for why I chose the Nifty Turquoise over the Aruba Blue but honestly I just preferred the way the Nifty Turquoise looked from the front of my house. Good luck on your door!

128. Tracie says:

I am so happy that I found your website. I am in the process of painting my doors turquoise right now. I only have the glazing and sealing left to do. I used the Aruba Blue. I cannot wait to tone it down. Right now my house looks like a 1980′s Jazzercize instructor lives here. I hope I inspire my neighbors and we can all have joyously colorful doors. Thanks again for the instructions on how to get this look.