A Pink Dresser for Baby Alexa

Alexa Colette! Such a big name for a tiny baby girl! Alexa is the newest family addition for Jeff, Mandi and big brother Andrew.  She was born on December 3rd of this year.  This precious couple, the youth pastors at our church, have been a vital part of my kid’s teenage years!

Mandi asked me if I would paint a dresser for the new baby.  She asked that it blend with existing pieces but not match.  We decided on pink and brown.  The dresser was previously painted with a flower detail.  Here we are in the primer stage!
My sweet husband primed and painted the dresser for me.  I think we used Sherwin Williams #6597 – “Hopeful” cut 25%.
At this point, it sat for several days until I could decided just how I wanted to continue.  I finally went with a combination of damask and harlequin patterns.
To create the harlequin, I divided the drawer and then taped off the pattern.  Yes, I know, there are stencils for this kind of thing but when I’m in the “I’m doing it NOW!” mode, I work with what I’ve got”.  In this case…I winged it!

Using Anita’s Acrylic Craft Paint called Espresso Bean and a stencil brush I painted the first set of harlequins.

Notice the fancy painting system I have in my laundry room.  The paint can was the perfect prop!

After the paint dried, I retaped and painted the second set of harlequins.

For the damask pattern, I used a large stencil and taped off a small section.  Sorry, no “during” pictures. Two drawers are painted with this horizontal pattern.  For the third drawer, I turned the pattern vertical.

When the drawers were completed, I then sanded the entire piece, sanding through the painted designs to give it a distressed look.  I finished the dresser by brushing on a dark walnut stain and quickly wiping off the excess.
Mandi plans to buy new hardware and then Alexa’s dresser will be finished and ready to use!
Since it has been very cold here, we were painting the dresser inside the house, in what we call the “computer room”.  This is the closest thing my husband has to a “man cave” in our house.  This small room is located just off the kitchen and is basically a 2nd living room/den.
This is where we keep all of my husband’s music, guitars (right side, above), his “music legends” artwork and, of course, the computer.
Each of these pieces were hand done by my husband.

I guess you could say these are my “hunting trophies”!

For this room, I guess this sentiment just about sums it up!
Have a Blessed Day!
SHARING WITH:
Show and Tell Green

Life in my PJs

This entry was posted in Collections, Our Home, Painted Furniture, Painting Tutorials, Power of Paint. Bookmark the permalink.

32 Responses to A Pink Dresser for Baby Alexa

1. Vanessa says:

Hi Sonya! That dresser is absolutely darling! I love the damask pattern and that brown/pink combo is perfect. But, what I really can’t get over is how amazing that artwork is! You and your hubby are seriously talented! Does he ever sell them? That Bono one caught my eye as U2 is my husband’s favorite group of all time.
    Please pass along to him how impressed a gal from blogland is! :-)
    Vanessa

2. Wow, your husband is very talented, Sonya! Between the two of you that’s some super talent going on at your house! : ) Love the dresser. I did buy a large harlequin stencil to use on “something”. I don’t know what yet, but as soon as I saw it I bought it. I’m sure I’ll find something in the coming year. I would never be able to tape it off like you did. Mine would have looked like hexagons or something.

You & your hubby are both soooo talented! Those pictures are amazing!!

4. Sonya,
    Talent just oozes from your family! Gorgeous dresser. Little Alexa will grow to LOVE this heirloom in the making piece!
    Yvonne

5. That dresser is sooo pretty and I love the different drawers. I can’t believe your hubby’s talent as well…

Alexa’s dresser is gorgeous! Love the pink and brown. I love your computer room…it’s one of my favorites in your home! :)

7. Susan says:

Sonya! Great job on the dresser~it is beautiful.

8. Super job on that chest. I painted my granddaughter dressing table pink and glazed it. I love the patterns you added.

9. Kim says:

The dresser is so pretty. I really like the stencil turned on its side. Your husband is amazingly talented, too. Maybe he should start his own blog!? Blessings, Kim

10. You know I love it!!! You did a great job!!

11. Patsy says:

This is so cute!!! What a great idea to stencil the different designs for an additional creative touch. Thanks for sharing. Have a blessed day!

12. Sonya your hubs has the creative gene too I see. Your tutorial on the dresser was great. I love how it came out, all pink and vintage shabby.

13. Marydon says:

Your little darling is going to one day LOVE this beautiful dresser you have desisgned. Very talented husband.

Christmas hugs & wishes ~
    TTFN ~ Marydon

That turned out precious and I know it will be loved!

15. Denise says:

Love that little dresser! What a special piece that will be in the babies room.

16. Chrissie says:

I love this dresser. Anything with harlequins make me swoon!

17. I am so glad you shared this beauty at my party this week!

18. KasiaJ says:

Wow. It looks fantastic! I love everything about it- the colors, the designs, the combination of designs…lovely.

19. Erin says:

That dresser is absolutely GORGEOUS!!!! :)

20. What a fabulous treatment! You did a wonderful job! I love the harlequin pattern mixed between each drawer! Nice work on the glaze, as well.

Happy Holidays!
    ~Michelle

21. Kathy says:

I love this great job, you are so creative!

22. Hey new follower here! I love it. What a beaut she is!I look forward to tooling around your blog.

I would love for you to join me on my blog as well.
    take care and happy holidays
    Deb

23. How absolutely darling!
    You did a fantastic job!!
    I bet the parents were very honored.

All that pink and brown goodness. Such a treasure–sure to be a heirloom.

25. So creative Sonya!! It just looks fabulous! Thanks for the sweet comments by the way!

26. Judy says:

Absolutely gorgeous. I linked over from Vanessa’s party. What a lucky little baby to get that dresser. So creative. I’m your latest follower now. I’d love for you to check out my blog and follow me back at http://www.diybydesign.blogspot.com. Thanks. Again, you did an amazing job.

27. Vanessa says:

Thank you so much for linking this up to the party Sonya! :-)
    Vanessa

28. You and your husband are such a talented couple. Your dresser turned out so pretty and your husband’s artwork is amazing :)

29. Teresa says:

Wow – the dresser is so pretty! I’m sure that new mama will absolutely love it.

30. You are too smart to whip up that Harlequin pattern with tape. Love it.

31. Kathy says:

You did a wonderful job on the dresser -I’m sure they are so pleased with the transformation . Your husbands art work is amazing -What a team you two are -what talent !

32. Lori says:

Great finish to a boring chest. Wonderful and looks like it took a long time. Found you from Savvy Southern Style.. she featured my wood ceiling too.