This is the BEST Baked Potato Soup!

When the temperatures drop there is nothing that tastes better than soup.  Much to my family’s dismay I could eat soup 7 days a week. But no one complains when the answer to, “What’s for supper?” is
Baked Potato Soup!

Picture courtesy of Better Homes and Gardens Recipes
This happens to be our absolute favorite potato soup recipe.  Even my kids love and ask for this!  If you’re looking for a nice healthy soup, sorry…this isn’t it. But if you’re looking for filling and delicious, this is a great recipe!
Since I didn’t have a picture readily available, I found one at BH&G that actually looks fairly close to the actual soup.
BAKED POTATO SOUP

10 slices of bacon with drippings
1 1/2 to 2 C chopped onion
1 1/3 C flour
12 C chicken broth (or chicken bouillon & water)
8 C chopped baked potatoes, skins on.
4 C heavy whipping cream (I often use half & half or milk)
1 tsp garlic or garlic powder
3 tsp dried basil
2 tsp salt
2 tsp Tabasco sauce
1 1/2 – 2 tsp black pepper
2 C grated cheddar cheese
1/2 C green onions to garnish (optional)

Bake potatoes. I fill (as many as you can) a 9×13 pan with potatoes, cover with foil and bake at 450 for 1 hour. This is the perfect number of potatoes. Allow to cool. Potatoes will be easier to chop when cool.

Fry bacon in a large soup pot. (Do not remove grease.) Remove bacon and crumble. Set aside.
Cook onion (and garlic if using real garlic) in drippings for 3-4 minutes until onion is tender. Add flour, stirring to prevent lumps. Cook 3-5 minutes until golden brown. (Using a whisk helps in this step.) Add chicken broth gradually and cook until soup thickens, stirring often. (This step takes a while. Continue to use the whisk to help dissolve lumps.)

Start adding spices and Tabasco while waiting for soup to thicken. Chop potatoes. Just as soup begins to boil or reaches desired thickness, reduce heat to simmer. Add potatoes and whipping cream. Simmer to heat thoroughly. Add cheese until melted. Add bacon OR use bacon as a topping along with green onions and/or extra cheese.

This is a doubled recipe.  Makes 10-12 servings.
Delicious as leftovers as well!

ENJOY!
SHARING WITH:

Funky Junk's Saturday Nite Special

This entry was posted in Recipes. Bookmark the permalink.

28 Responses to This is the BEST Baked Potato Soup!

1. If you love it then I know I will…saving to my recipe favs.

2. This sounds delicious, I am copying it and will make it soon. Thanks for sharing.
    One question: Do you peel the potatoes after the bake and cool? Or do you leave the skins on??
    Best,
    Gloria

3. ChRiS says:

well i already have 1 p-soup recipe i love but i am up for a new 1…..will save this and make over weekend or next snow storm (always make a soup to take to elderly neighbors when we have storms)

I can vouch for the deliciousness of this recipe! Yum! I’ve also made it and it is very easy. (Although it tasted better when you and Mom made it. :)

5. Gonna have to print this off, looks so yummy and I love baked potato soup!

6. This sounds delicious! MMMMMM, betcha it goes a long way on a cold winter’s night!

7. YUMMY! I think I’ll make this tonight!

Thanks!

8. I made this last night too, except I used chopped ham instead of bacon. Yum ! I did not use whipping cream either…

9. Sonya, I have printed this off and will definitely make it! It sounds yummy!

I finished my valance and it is up!! Check it out when you get a chance…thank you so much for your help! I would have NEVER been able to do it without you!

Lou Cinda

That sounds like it’s to die for!

11. La says:

Oh my. That looks so good. La

12. SheilaG says:

Mmmm! Potato soup is my favorite, will definitely try this one. Can’t go wrong with bacon, right?! :)

13. I love soup, but don’t think I’ve ever made potato–it looks great :).

14. When I lived in Houston I used to order Baked Potato Soup at a restaurant called “Houston’s”. I loved it and have not had that soup for years since I moved away. I am going to follow your recipe because it looks so yummy. Thank you! Oh and I love your turquoise door too!!

Love,
    Susan and Bentley
    xxoo

15. OK…Uuuhhh…YUM! Im in bed SICK and that looks like it would make me feel better! Have been missin you! Hope your holidays were wonderful! Off to get caught up on your blog :0)

blessings xoxokara

16. Katy says:

I have been wanting to make baked potato soup…I’m so glad you posted this! It sounds delicious!

17. Lindy says:

Oh how I’d love to know how to cook like this! I’m passing this recipe on to my mom so she can make it for me!

18. I too could eat soup 7 days a week!

19. I’ve got to try this. I think it’s funny about the picture. When I first saw it I was so impressed with your presentation (not that you wouldn’t do it that way anyway). :)

20. Hi Sonya! It is so dreary and cold here right now and this soup sounds absolutely perfect! We are some soup lovin’ fools at our house too so I have a feeling this will be making an appearance this week! :-)
    Thanks for linking up,
    Vanessa

21. WOW! 2 of my favorite foods, soup and potatoes! I’m definitely going to try this. Even the photo looks delish :) Tks for sharing.

Enjoyed exploring your blog.

22. This soup looks wonderful. I could eat soup many times a week and am always looking for a new recipe!

23. Gina :) says:

This is that recipe that was supposed to be “top secret”!! Oh well! I got it from Elaine W when she worked at a restaurant and it was this big deal because they bought it from the Hard Rock Cafe. I’m sure all those “top secret” recipes are on the internet by now anyway! I said all that to say, everyone should definitely try this! It is really good! Sonya, I bet your soup does look like the picture!! Mine has never looked that cute. Also – be careful not to burn the bottom. I seem to manage to do that every other time! :) Your blog still looks amazing! :) xxoo

24. CAS says:

This sounds so yummy, even if our temps are in the 70′s. We like soup any ‘ol time.
    CAS

25. Jennifer says:

Just made this recipe for dinner! Wonderful!!!!
    The kids loved it! Thanks for sharing.

26. I made this for dinner tonight and it is delish! I’ve been looking for a good potato soup recipe for years. This is perfect. Thank you so much!

27. Sonys, I just love your home!!!! I’m head over heals with your lampshades!!! The brick and black and white tile is just awesome!!! I wish you could come to my home and help me decorate! I really, really, really love your style!!!!

28. Heck! is suppose to be on your living room post! Sorry girl!!!