Stacey’s New Shower Curtain

Here’s another custom shower curtain idea for you. Stacey from Poofing the Pillows, who just happens to live nearby, contacted me and asked if I could remake an existing shower curtain for her.
Shown above is the floral, ready made shower curtain, two wash cloths, showing the colors being used in the bathroom and a lampshade that you’ll see more of later.
The existing shower curtain measured 72×72. The new shower curtain needed it to be longer and wider. Therein was our dilemma.
I have to tell you that this floral presented a challenge for me. With all the colors here you’d think there would be plenty of fabrics to choose from but I didn’t want it to be too expected and/or matchy matchy.
I found a high quality, ivy green burlap that went well with the floral and loved the textual quality it brought to the curtain. I then added the black and cream check as an accent.
When making a shower curtain for a standard 5′ tub enclosure I like to make the curtain 90″ wide x 80″ long.
I cut approximately 9″ off the length of the existing shower curtain and then cut it vertically into three equal pieces. I added two 9″ strips of the green burlap in between the vertical floral strips. This made the finished width 90″.
The reason for cutting the 9″ off the bottom of the floral was to add 20″ (finished length including hem) of burlap to the lower edge including a tiny 1/2″ flange of the black and cream check (cut on the bias) to separate the two It would have looked disproportionate to just add 11″ to the bottom of the curtain to get the desired length.
The absolute strangeness of this shot was the result of having trouble getting a photo of the entire shower curtain. So I draped it over my upstairs banister in order to give you a glimpse of the whole curtain…well, most of it. But you get the idea.
And here again, you can see the black and cream check was added along the upper edge as well. We changed things up even more by hanging the curtain from red rings.
 We also took a lampshade from plain-jane to…
Fabulous!
Coming up next:
 Details and a how-to on this lampshade’s transformation!

Would you like Beyond the Screen Door delivered to your inbox? It's easy! Just enter your e-mail address:

This entry was posted in Shower Curtains. Bookmark the permalink.

27 Responses to Stacey’s New Shower Curtain

1. Oh my goodness Sonya you are such a beautiful seamstress!!!

2. ctlogcabin says:

WoW Looks like a Million Buck … Neat to have something so Custom I bet she was thrilled.
    Hugs ~ Connie xox

3. Marie Wreath says:

As always, WOW. I love the mix. I love the fresh green burlap. I REALLY love the check trim. You always inspire me to shake things up, because I kinda hate matchy matchy too!! I know your friend is thrilled to pretty little pieces. xoxo

4. Miss Kitty says:

Hi Sonya! Love that re-made shower curtain! I am a big fan of making shower curtains higher and wider than can normally found in stores. “Yours” turned out fabulously…such great details and fabric choices. Love the trim on the lampshade also.

5. Sonya, this is gorgeous! I love it and look forward to the shade transformation tutorial! You’re so talented! I love it all!

6. I always love the way you combine patterns & colors- great choices.

7. FANTASTIC!! Shower curtains are never the size I need! So love yours!! Great restyle!

8. Clydia says:

Very nice! Can’t wait to hear more about the lamp shade! XO, Clydia

9. L says:

How pretty. Love the fringe on the lamp shade. Always such inspiration here on your blog!

The curtain and the lampshade are both absolutely a work of art. Thank you so much for helping me transform our bathroom. :) You are awesome!

11. Gypsy Heart says:

How cute! I love the bright colors and as always, you did a fabulous job with the trim and creativity of adding the green burlap. The lamp shade is adorable!

12. What a fantastic transformation Sonya! I love the panels of green breaking up the floral and the lampshade is just darling. You are so creative! :-)
    Vanessa

13. Love that beautiful green fabric and the striped effect of the two together. You are the queen of mixing and matching fabrics!

14. mishebe says:

love your creations!

15. Paula says:

Another beautiful creation by Sonya!!

16. That is really pretty. Love the different patterns together. Thanks for sharing at Wow.

17. Mandy says:

This would look fabulous in my house!!! Beautiful.

Mandy

18. bj says:

OOO, I’m telling you…this is the
    cauuuuuuutist thing I’ve ever seen. I love your choice of mix for the curtain and shade. So does Stacey. :))
    xo bj

19. bj says:

….just to say I am now a follower. :))

20. Leslie says:

Love all the color! Reminds me of spring time. I’m planning to follow your blog to inspire me to do things myself (saving $$/kids in college)..

xx
    leslie

21. That turned out super cute. Love the burlap combo with the floral. Nice contrast going on there, and the lamp shade is uber cute too! Would love to have you come link-up at Finished it Friday! Have a fabulous weekend!
    ~Kimberlee, The Spunky Diva

22. Jane says:

The fabrics you chose are awesome! When can you come help me with my bathroom?!?!?!? Have a great weekend!

23. Pretty fabric – you’ve done a lovely job!

As always amazing with mixing up fabs Sonya! Thanx for coming to the party!

25. You are a Master at putting fabrics together and just creating FABULOUS! Stacey is such a sweetheart…love her!

LOVE the lampshade too!