I’m sure you’ve all see some version of this wreath. Coffee filters, fabric, flowers, etc. I chose fabric, of course.
I’d been wanting to make one of these wreaths for quite a while. And I knew I wanted to make it in shades of neutrals. So, over the past few months every time I had fabric scraps in a color I thought I could use, I tossed them in a plastic bag. By the time I got around to starting on this wreath I had collected quite a stash.
I chose to use 3″ squares of fabric for this project. I grabbed my stash and started cutting. I ended up using 10 different fabrics. The fabrics included linen, burlap, cotton, scrim, some with tone-on-tone patterns, some solid, all in shades of tan, taupe, white and ivory. When finished it took 700-750 squares or 75 @ 3″ squares of each fabric.
Before I started I wrapped an 18″ straw wreath with strips of scrim to cover the straw. I would suggest scrim, tulle or any other very thin fabric for this step. A thicker fabric would make it too hard to push in the fabric squares.
This was my tool of choice for pushing in the fabric squares. Why? No reason except it was handy. You could use a screwdriver or any tool with a pointed end.
At first I didn’t think I needed the hot glue but quickly realized the fabrics came out too easily without the glue.
To begin I chose a spot, slapped on a dab of hot glue and then pushed the fabric square into the straw.
I started with one color and randomly placed it around the wreath, making sure I was covering the top, inside and outside of the wreath. Then I’d move on to the next color and repeat. This way I tried to not get too many of the same colors in one spot or directly next to each other.
When I finished my wreath I realized I had enough fabric to make several more. I decided to pass this opportunity along to you!
If you’d like to make this wreath but don’t want to take the time to shop for fabrics, hunt through fabric scraps or tediously cut 750 square of fabric…