Lynda called during the summer, desperately wanting to freshen up her guest bedroom.
With company coming, she wanted a fresh look but didn’t want to start over as she loved the existing blue and white bedding she had in the room. I knew we could add new life to her guest room by taking the blue and white bedding and adding in one pop of color. We chose a fresh apple green.
We began by taking down a dark blue curtain panel (which we reinvented into pillow shams you’ll see in a moment) and replaced it with a pair of Manchester Embroidered sheers from Target customized with a green & white ribbon fringe.
Did you catch this photo I posted on Facebook a few weeks ago? I don’t know what it is about ribbon fringe but I just love it! It makes me smile!The one and only window in this bedroom room is tucked into the corner. Lynda wanted to use one curtain panel pulled back and anchored with a medallion style tieback.
I sewed the two ready made sheer panels together and attached the custom ribbon fringe along the lead edge and across the hem.
42 yds ea – 1 green ribbon, 1 ivory ribbon, 1 white yarn, 1 ivory yarn = 168 yds Total of 5 yards of custom ribbon fringe.
People, that’s a LOT of ribbon and yarn!
But oh, so worth it!
Read more about making your own Custom Ribbon Fringe here.
We hung the window treatment with a metal rod and simple clip rings.
I wanted plenty of fullness in this window treatment but two panels was a bit wide for a 35″ wide window. By pleating the panels along the top edge I achieved just the right balance between fullness for the window treatment and the right amount of width for attaching the rings.
The comforter and bedskirt are original to the room. The 3 dark blue euro shams along the back of the bed were made from the previous window treatment.
The queen size bed shams were created from existing fabric. We simply added a shimmering ivory organza ruffle to brighten them up.
The only other new fabrics added to the room (besides the window treatment) was this white with apple green chenille dots we made into a bolster complete with ruffled detail.
One of the fabrics we removed from the room was a black over-sized floral print (with a touch of blue) which had been used for pillows.
Removing this dark print, limiting the fabrics to shades of blue and white, re-purposing the few original fabrics and adding a fresh new window treatment made such a difference in this guest room.
Lynda is still working on a few more accessories for the room like new lamps and artwork but these few simple changes made a huge impact. Without breaking the bank.