Little Girls and a Mural

Have you ever been at a loss as to what to do with a blank wall in your child’s bedroom? My sister-in-law Amanda decided to paint an adorable mural. Not only did it fill a large, empty space but it brought an additional charm to my nieces’ already charming bedroom.

The sweet little munchkin pictured above is my 6 yr old niece. She spontaneously decided she was ready for a bath while I was taking pictures of her room.

Amanda painted the mural after being inspired by a ready-made wall decal.  I think she did an amazing job. Even though she says there’s still details to tweak I think it’s adorable!

Over the years my kids have switched rooms numerous times and each switch created the opportunity for new paint. I’ve painted (and painted over) picket fences, faux windows, a border that read “Basketball, Baseball, Soccer Ball, Football, Hockey” each with a  coordinating ball or puck and an entire playroom mural complete with a huge tree, rabbits, flowers and ladybugs created out of my kids fingerprints. In various other spaces (or for friends and relatives) I’ve painted several faux brick walls, stone walls, stone pillars and hanging basket of flowers (compliments of Mary Englebreit inspiration), an entire garden complete with trickling stream and airplanes. Separately, of course. The airplanes weren’t in the garden.

What can I say? I like to paint. And a mural like this one would be so much fun.

Along with all sorts of little girl items like stuffed animals, dolls, toys and guitars (courtesy of their Daddy aka my brother the musician) which inhabit this space, each sister has a collection of vintage pillows on her bed. I thought this one particularly special.
Adding handmade flowers to hide a tear, Amanda gave new life to a patchwork pillow pieced years ago by her grandmother.  I love that Amanda has placed family pieces in her young girls’ room.  I think it’s a lovely way of inspiring a sense of heritage and an appreciate for all things old and sentimental.

The old mixed with the new. Isn’t that a key ingredient to our favorite spaces?

Meet the other niece who shares this creative bedroom. Our Pint Size Family Photographer. She’s 3 and really quite good!

Quilt – TJ Maxx.

Have you ever attempted a painted mural? With a bit of inspiration, a steady hand and possibly an overhead projector you’re good to go!

SHARING WITH: Beyond the Picket Fence Under $100 Party, Stone Gable Tutorial, Tips & Tidbits, From My Front Porch to Yours Treasure Hunt Thursday, A Little Knick Knack EBTKS PartyAt the Picket Fence Inspiration Friday, French Country Cottage Feathered Nest Friday, 2805 Potpourri Friday, My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia Tuesday’s Treasures, A Stroll Thru Life Tabletop Tuesday, Mod Vintage Life Mod Mix Monday, The Farmhouse Porch Cow Girl Up Party, Domestically Speaking Power of Paint Party

This entry was posted in Girls Bedrooms, Power of Paint, Vintage. Bookmark the permalink.

18 Responses to Little Girls and a Mural

1. Shenita says:

Sonya, this room is adorable! I LOVE the owls!! I used to paint murals when my girls were little. My favorite was when they were around 7 or 8 years old. It was CD’s and music notes. I put their favorite artists’ names on the cd’s. It was really cute!

Sonya,

This beautiful. I love the whole mural. You did a fantastic job and a very nice thing.

3. Lisa says:

What a precious room! And I’m in love with the pillow!

4. Amanda says:

Thanks Sonya! Caroline got a kick out of this! She had the biggest grin on her face when she saw the pic of her on your blog! She thinks she’s big time :) oh btw, I finally finished painting the IKEA frames & the monogram letters for over their beds. They turned out very sweet! One project down….only 283 to go ;)

5. Oh Sonya – that is ADORABLE! Love all of it!

This mural is adorable! I love the girls’ room…all the wonderful details are so precious and perfect!

I think your basket of geraniums may be your best work yet.

BTW, this whole loving to paint thing is another thing that makes me wonder how we can really be sisters. :)

7. Martina says:

What a sweet room!! Your SIL did an AMAZING job on that mural, love it!!

8. Nana Diana says:

Is that the cutest thing you have ever seen? She did an amazing job in that room. It is just darling and I love it- xo Diana

9. Tyla says:

Very sweet, and I love the patchwork quilt!

10. Tyla says:

Ooops. I meant patchwork pillow. That would be the Nyquil kicking in. lol

11. Deby Sanger says:

So pretty…wish I had a little girl to paint that for. BTW – I had to laugh about your comment of an entire garden complete with trickling stream and airplanes. Separately, of course. The airplanes weren’t in the garden. That’s too funny…I might actually try something like that. My husband has an airplane and loves to flying and anything related. I of course enjoy it also and go with him often. My passion is gardening. I’ll have to think about this one! Anyway, great job!

12. Paula Chaffin says:

Sonya,
    I painted a quilt on the ceiling of my craft room and boy was my neck sore!!
    I also painted circles on top of circles overlapping circles ranging from 2″-18″.
    It looks like it would be from Target but only hand painted.
    It does add so much to a room with an accent.

I wanted to let you know that today I finally posted the full before and after pics of my dinning room remodel with the pics of the tablecloth I got from you if you want to check it out. =)

Oh, and that pillow is absolutely darling!

14. lisa says:

This is adorable! And so is she! The art is fabulous!

15. Love it! Dropping by from at the picket fence

16. Becky says:

This room is adorable…..My granddaughter saw it and wanted a mural in her room….Blessings, Becky

How super super sweet!! Thanx for sharing at THT Sonya!

18. Christy says:

How long ago did she buy that quilt! It would be perfect for my little girls room! Do you know the brand??