A Study in Simple, Colorful Pillows

Simple Pillows You guys know I like details. I like the challenge of mixing fabrics and adding plenty of fun details.

But I have to admit, I’m loving these simple colorful pillows I made for Cassity. She brought me all the fabrics and said make what you can.  She wanted simple 18″ zippered pillow covers for easy removal and washing using 20″ feather inserts.

Simple Pillows (9)Even going for simple, I still managed to add unique details.

Simple Pillows (10)The yellow/gold damask print pillow got a tiny flange with it’s own tiny corner ruffle.

Simple Pillows (7)

And zipper.

Simple Pillows (8) With the yardage I had of this bold multi-colored print I was able to make two plain seamed pillows.

I wasn’t able to match the pattern on both the front and back so two sides have one centered design…

Simple Pillows (5)

while the other side has a different centered design.

Simple Pillows (6)

And zippers.

Simple Pillows (4)Every time I look at this pillow I think my photo is out of focus. Or my eyes are done for the day. But it’s just this crazy design.

Simple Pillows (2)This little guy got a larger flange and hidden zipper.

Simple PillowsThree bold, colorful pillows that all make a statement yet are fairly simple in design.

And even easier to make if you chose not to include the zipper.

SHARING WITH: No Minimalist Here Open House Party, Stone Gable Tutorials, Tips and Tidbits, From My Front Porch to Yours Treasure Hunt Thursday, Beyond the Picket Fence Under $100 Party, Three Mango Seeds It’s Party Time, Coastal Charm Nifty Thrifty Tuesday, Lolly Jane The Scoop, My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia Tuesday’s Treasures

This entry was posted in PILLOWS. Bookmark the permalink.

20 Responses to A Study in Simple, Colorful Pillows

I would love to incorporate more pillows like that. If you find some fun fabric that would go with bosporus let me know. :)

I love the colors in all of these. Very spring like!

3. I’m making new pillows as we speak (or as I read! lol). You know that bold Waverly print is one of my favorites…it just got a new spot in my living room. Thanks for the flange idea. I have a couple of pillow covers that are a bit too big for my inserts, and I think this is just the fix I need! I would have never noticed that those two sides were different, still had to study the photos even after you told us! Beautiful work as always, Sonya!

4. Pat says:

Beautiful! I especially like the bold pattern. You always do such a wonderful job on everything and these…my goodness, flanges, patterns on either side and zippers. You are wonder woman!

5. Sissie says:

These are so beautiful and would brighten up any room. I’m starting to like brighter, happier patterns in fabric and these are just perfect.

hugs
    Sissie

6. Cindy says:

Love the fabric! So pretty as usual!!!
    Cindy

7. Heather says:

These are really great. Perfect for spring/summer. I only know how to make a pillow with and envelope back. I have gotta sit down and learn the zipper….

8. Debbie C. says:

I’ve been obsessing over pillows on the internet the last two days. I should just make my own! Great job!

9. Gorgeous pillows Sonya…I love the zippers as the covers are easy to store when you are changing things about!…

10. mishelle says:

Pretty , pretty!

11. Kristie says:

Oh, how I love these details and the mix works so well together! Your workmanship is amazing! ~Kristie

12. Jenna says:

I love the flange with the ruffle, will you do a tutorial on that? I have never made more than just a straight seam pillow, no trim…is it hard for an “amateur?”
    Jenna

13. More awesome pillows- love them all!

14. Oooh la la, the fabrics are great to start with, especially that bright floral, but I really like the tailored little edge and simple ruffle detail. Very nice!! xoxo Well done as always Sonya! PS guess who finally cleaned out her kitchen pantry and freezer today?? Only a month behind you, but it feels amazing! haha

15. cheryl says:

Beautiful. I like simple too. I like to mix and match that. A couple of simple, a couple of over the top…..on the same bed or sofa.

16. debbiedoos says:

You do the best work Sonya..I simply adore these pillows.

17. Sonia says:

Gorgeous, gorgeous , gorgeous!!
    Miss Bloomers

18. Clydia says:

As usual I love everything you sew. I really like all the patterns & thanks so much for linking up! Hugs

19. GHW says:

You have a wonderful command of color, pattern and texture added to any one item, and you make it look effortless. Beautiful work!