Family News and Saying Goodbye to Summer

Succulents by the Pool

Every year, when school starts I know this is going to happen. And it always makes me sad. Our mind’s shift gears from summer life to school life and our kids seem to forget we have a pool.

School starts and the temperature hovers around 100 for weeks but we’ve already moved on to Fall. Why is this? I try to encourage last minute pool parties or get together’s but I’m just as guilty as my kids. It’s just not a priority like it is in May.

This year we’ve had other thoughts occupying our minds as well. Things that came as a surprise and things we weren’t expecting.

As a blogger I love sharing creative projects with you guys. I have no problem coming up with posts about pillows or curtains or showing off someone’s beautiful home.

But when it comes to talking about more personal matters…that’s hard. Hard to write about it. Hard to put it into words.

Now that I’ve got you all thinking the worst! I’m sorry! Let me assure you we’re all okay. This is just me being weird and having a hard time putting this down in words.

I’ve not mentioned this before because I wanted to wait until Kaleigh was ready to let the world know.

A week ago, my daughter Kaleigh was admitted to the hospital for IV medications and nutrients. She has been diagnosed with an undetermined Colitis (until we have more test results) possibly Ulcerative Colitis or Crohn’s Disease. She is still in the hospital.

Approximately 2 months ago, during a highly stressful time at her job, Kaleigh came down with what we thought was a stomach bug. After a couple of doctor visits where she wasn’t getting better and her anemia was getting worse we visited a GI specialist.

It’s hard to see your kids sick. To see your kids sick and not be able to help them. It’s even harder to see them sick when, after 2 months, you’re still not 100% sure what it is that’s making them sick.

But this kid has been a Trooper! I’m so very proud of her!

She’s been so very sick, had to endure an endoscopy and colonoscopy (plus the nasty preparation for these procedures), the laughter over the hilarious things she said while the medications wore off after these procedures, numerous blood tests, a Catscan (and it’s equally nasty preparation) and a 7 day, at least, hospital stay with a PICC line (a super, duper IV line) to administer high doses of meds, steroids and nutrients.

And she’s getting married in 2 months!

What have I become even more aware of though all of this?

That just because this came as a surprise to us…it wasn’t a surprise to God.

Kaleigh is HIS child and in HIS hands.

My GOD is the Ultimate Physician and Healer!

We’ve got one heck of a kid! And she’s got one heck of a fiance!

We’ve got wonderful friends, family, and extended church families lifting us up in prayer.

I am so very thankful!

For all those things I’ve just mentioned.

But especially for His Healing, His Provision, His Peace, His Comfort, His Strength, His Joy, His Presence…for whatever it is we may be in need of. He Provides.

Summertime Back Patio

I wish my back porch looked like this! And that my plants were still this healthy. Isn’t that table & clock awesome? These two photos are from my client, Tara’s, home. See more of Tara’s home here.

So, if you don’t hear from me right away, I’m at the hospital. Which has pitiful wifi.

I waited until Kaleigh posted on her blog about her experiences before letting you guys know. Until she wrote about this I didn’t feel like it was my tale to tell.

Please, go read her account of the past few weeks. It’s hilarious and will let you see first hand how well she’s handling this. If you’re a by-the-book type of medical personality you may have a hard time with Ka’s interpretation but you’ll leave with a smile.

Thank you so much for being the great bloggy friends that you are and for your prayers for Kaleigh as we work on getting her well and this colitis under control.

This entry was posted in Family, Inspiration. Bookmark the permalink.

18 Responses to Family News and Saying Goodbye to Summer

1. Oh Sonya, your heart! So beautiful. xoxoxoxo Your trust in Him is beautiful. Your sweet girl will be alright, I know it. You all have my prayers, and we all will be here anytime you can find wifi.
    xoxo Call if you need more than that!

2. sissie says:

Hi Sonya
    I’m sorry to hear about your daughter. My son was diagnosed with crohns disease three year ago and is currently in remission with manageable symptoms. He has been through several procedures and surgeries. Its been tough but with proper care and good docs it can be managed. My son is 36.
    I’ll be thinking of you and saying a little prayer for you both.

Hugs
    Sissie

Saying prayers for Kaleigh and you too. It’s very stressful, I’m sure!

4. Shenita says:

Sonya, I will have your daughter in my prayers! It sounds like she is quite the warrior! I agree that God is the ultimate healer; and that she is in His hands! Praying for all the best!

5. Janese says:

Praying for all of you! You are such an amazing family..love you all!

6. Nana Diana says:

I will be praying for you and your sweet daughter. It is so hard to see our kids suffer and NOT BE ABLE to help them. I used to work at a hospital and sometimes the worst part was emotionally living through what the parents were living through. I can’t tell you how many times I went into the back hall and bawled after dealing with parents of a sick child (no matter what age the child was). It really makes you realize that every day is a gift, doesn’t it? Blessings and love to you- xo Diana

7. Amanda Dalton says:

Sonya! We’re so thankful Ka has been able to get some good treatment & care in the hospital. Gonna keep praying for her and the rest of y’all during this hard time. We love you!

8. Debby Owens says:

Hi Sonya…..I just wanted you to know I’ll be praying for your entire family as you go through this. It’s so comforting to know that God is in control and He knows what He’s doing. Just wanted to share a verse that has been especially meaningful to me:

“For my soul trusts in You; and in the shadow of Your wings I will make my refuge, until these calamities have passed by.” Psalm 57:1

Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers!

9. Judy says:

My daughter went through a bad divorce in her 20′s and had colitis. She was ill for some time but prayers, good friends and co-workers along with a caring medical staff got her through it. Years ago I was given a book by a chaplain at one of our local hospitals titled “Making Your Illness Count.” He wrote it and it was one of the best books I ever read. The first words: “Why me, Lord? Why now? I have places to go and people to see and so much to do. I don’t have time for this.” After a few pages, I knew that it isn’t always our plan but God’s plan and sometimes an illness can make us stop and realize that we need to make some changes and reflect on what we need to do to make our lives and our selves well and healthy and better. I wish Katie and all those she holds most dear in her heart a better time ahead. With all that love surrounding her, the medical care and her determination and sense of humor, she is certain to get well soon! Hugs to all of you! You’re in many thoughts and prayers.

10. Anne says:

It is well. God has you cradled in the palms of His hands. You have wonderful church family and friends praying for your daughter and your family. God is listening! God is always doing good for us, even when it looks like illness to us. God bless you and your daughter and keep you ever with Him. God will bless your great faith.

11. Kathy says:

Praying for you all. He is faithful and will restore! I pray His peace that passes understanding for your family and Kaleigh!

12. Sonya, I’m so sorry to hear about Kaleigh’s issues with colitis. I admire your trust in God, and will be lifting you all up in prayer, especially that Kaleigh will get definitive answers and a quick healing. Keep up posted as you can, ok? ♥

13. I am so sorry to hear about your daughter’s illness. I know that this is especially stressful as you prepare for a wedding. I am praying for both of you!

14. Mary Stone says:

So grateful that you trust in GOD to bring your child and you thru all of this. Seems you have a wonderful daughter with a great sense of humor. Praying all will be perfect when the wedding week rolls around. Yes, I truly understand it is so difficult to see your child (no matter what age they are) sick or unhappy…seems all we mothers want to do is trade places with them so they can get back on their feet. Love your posts…you are so talented and especially love what you’ve been creating for Tara’s new home. Praying the Great Physician is at your daughter’s side and guiding her doctors. Warmly, Mary (The Old Elf)

15. Lori says:

I’m joining in prayer. I knew she was trying some wholistic things. Hope she turns around soon.

16. Lisa Doffin says:

Prayers for you and your family…

17. Jessica Sala-Bonin says:

Prayers for your family and daughter! XOXO

18. My mother’s heart jumps..and then my spiritual side yes, and Amen to all you said. I hold you in my prayers as she heals and you walk toward the wedding.