A Thankful Heart and A Legacy

Bible

When my Grandfather passed away his Bibles were divided up among the family.

Papa and Granny had 4 children and 9 grandchildren. To my knowledge we all received at least one Bible, if not more than one.

Papa Dalton was a preacher so he had quite a few Bibles.

The number of Bibles wasn’t the significance.

It was their condition.

Antique Bibles

This past week I came across Papa’s Bibles.

I knew I had them. I even knew exactly where they were in case anyone asked but I hand’t looked at them recently. It sure made me pause. And think.

These were not ornamental Bibles. These were read. And read. And read.

Antique Bible (2)

When I think of my Papa, these are a few things that come to mind…though not necessarily in this order.

Coveralls…Cornbread in buttermilk. ..’48 Black Chevy Truck…Hats…Black bruises on his nails…His Prayers..His Bible.

Papa's Legacy

I loved reading back through all the notations in the pages of Papa’s Bibles. Notes on sermons and events as well as a record of how many times he’d read his Bible through.

Papa died in December of 2001.

I can only imagine what this number would have been in 2001.

A Legacy

Papa prayed at each meal. Nice long prayers.

I don’t think he believe in short prayers.

He prayed over his food but also over his children, his DIL’s and SIL’s, his grandchildren, their spouses and eventually his great-grand children.

There is a line from the song “Grandfather Was A Preacher” that says
“He was a million miles from a million dollars but you could never spend his wealth.”

This was my Papa. This is my Dad. This is my Father-in-Law. This is my husband.

What a legacy.

Antique Bible

This Thanksgiving, as we remember our Blessings…and we are so very Blessed…I am also reminded that this legacy doesn’t stop with a Grandfather or a Father.

It may be our legacy but it’s not our’s to keep. It’s ours to pass down.

Whether or not you have a Papa like mine…this is still your legacy.
Your’s to have.
Your’s to pass down.
You are Blessed!

HAPPY THANKSGIVING!

To each and everyone of you! You are one of my biggest blessings!
And I’m so very Thankful for you!
Praying each of you have a wonderful, blessed and thankful day!

This entry was posted in Inspiration. Bookmark the permalink.

7 Responses to A Thankful Heart and A Legacy

1. Vicki Jackson says:

Sonya, that was beautiful! Made my day!!

2. Betty says:

What a lovely tribute! When I saw your Papa’s handwriting, it made me stop and look again – it was almost identical to my father’s. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours, and thank you for a wonderful post.

3. Sheri says:

Ok… I’m tearing up already!!! I have my bible from Papa and can see it daily. It was a tradition and I’m very thankful for it. Beautifully written…. Love you!!!

4. Judy says:

My dad died when I was 6 and I barely remember him but I know he was smiling when I thought of him as I read your wonderful tribute on this Thanksgiving Day. Thank you for the wonderful day brightener!

5. It’s so nice to know that those prayers and thoughts for the family are continuing to manifest themselves as the years go by. May God continue to bless you and yours through our Lord Jesus Christ this season….Thanks for sharing.

6. Suzi says:

So touching. My mother-in-law passed away in Sept and we have had the pleasure of giving away her Bibles :-) I love the old saying, “A Bible that is falling apart usually belongs to someone who isn’t”. Allow me another old story…whenever a certain cleaning lady started a new job the first thing she did was hide their Bible. That way she would know a lot about her new employer by how long it took for them to ask her if she knew where their Bible was!

Very touching Sonya. I have my Grandmothers bible. I love looking at it to see her markings and to remember. I lost her at 8 so the memories I have of her are so important to me, we would have been very close if I had her in my life. Hope you had a great Thanksgiving!