Elizabeth’s Red Kitchen and Curtain Makeover

Red & Green Kitchen

If you’ve read this blog for a while you may recognize my friend’s Elizabeth’s kitchen. Back in December I shared a few pics of her Christmas decor and promised more of her gorgeous home.

Well, have we got more!

Last fall Elizabeth said she was ready to redo the curtains in her kitchen and adjoining family room.

Red Toile & Blk, Wh CheckThe original window treatments we made for Elizabeth’s living room were floor length black and white buffalo check panels topped with a red toile valance.

When Elizabeth found Waverly’s Santa Maria fabric she knew she’d found the perfect choice to compliment the panels as well as satisfy her need for color and pattern.

Santa Maria Valance with Buffalo Check Panels

After debating whether to keep the same style of valance or switch it up to something new we decided on a flat panel valance with a scalloped edge and a big fat tassel.

Santa Maria Valance & Buffalo Check Panels

Elizabeth wanted to keep the look of the black metal rod and rings so we used the same hardware with the new valances.

Colorful Kitchen

I took apart the small kitchen window valance and replaced the red toile with the Santa Maria.

BEFORE:

Elizabeth's Kitchen 2010

This photo shows Elizabeth’s kitchen with the original valances from December 2010.

AFTER:

Scalloped Valance - Santa Maria & Check

Valance with Lime Green Tassel

We replaced the small black tassel with a huge lime green one Elizabeth found at Hobby Lobby.

Red Kitchen

In the breakfast room I replaced the band of toile on the black check curtains with a band of our new fabric.

Santa Maria & Buffalo Check Valance Buffalo Check & Santa Maria Valance Buffalo Check and Santa Maria Valance

We decided to leave the red toile band I had sewn on the back side of the valance. You can see a glimpse of it here.

Panama Wave & Black Check Valance

The toile inserts on the back door valance were replaced with Panama Wave, a companion fabric to the Santa Maria.

Valance & Cushion

Even the window seat cushion was updated using the new fabrics.

Bench Cushion

The window seat cushion sports feather pillow inserts instead of foam for a comfy, more casual look and feel.

Window Seat Cushion

Taking apart a cushion cover of this size complete with self piping and updating 3 of the panels  is not an easy project (even if you did make it yourself the first time).
I would suggest attempting this only if you have an excess of patience or love your friend very dearly! :)

Bright & Cheerful Kitchen

The new fabrics and curtain makeover work perfectly in Elizabeth’s colorful kitchen and family room. Plus the Santa Maria brings a new color into the mix! Pink!

Because, as you can tell, Elizabeth needs more color in her kitchen. :)

Waverly’s Santa Maria and Panama Wave fabrics can be found at Online Fabric Store.

Sharing with: Coastal Charm Nifty Thrifty Tuesday, Dwellings Amaze Me Monday, Stone Gable The Scoop, My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia Tuesday’s Treasures, A Stroll Thru Life Inspire Me Tuesday, From My Front Porch to Yours Treasure Hunt Thursday, A Delightsome Life Home and Garden Thursday, Common Ground Be Inspired, French Country Cottage Feathered Nest Friday, Remodelaholics Anonymous Link Park

This entry was posted in Kitchens, Living Rooms, Power of Paint, Window Treatments. Bookmark the permalink.

21 Responses to Elizabeth’s Red Kitchen and Curtain Makeover

1. A truly perfect update! It is so nice to see a kitchen with happy color.

2. Patricia says:

I always marvel at the fabrics that you put together. They look so absolutely perfect, and delicious. The only fabric store that we have here in this small town is a FABRICLAND. Just maybe I can find some interesting combinations. Are most of your fabric choices from WAVERLY?

3. Robin says:

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE everything you do!!! The mix of patterns and colors you use are exactly my style. I have about 10 decorating blogs that I stalk, and yours is #1 on my list! :-D

4. Michelle Holland says:

What a fun kitchen! Great job with all of the sewing!

5. I love her kitchen and really love the new patterns…what a great makeover!! Great job Sonya!

6. Oh, my, what a wonderfully cheery kitchen! Love the old and the new fabrics- and yes, you have way more patience than I to take those apart and redo. :)

7. Suzi says:

What a neat way to update or change/tweak your style! Adorable fabrics. Love the guts of the bench cushion, never thought of that. Of course, her kitchen is just darling!

8. Irene says:

Oh my, this is beautiful and a great way to use what you have and update for a different but awesome look! Love the buffalo check!

OMG Sonya, these scream me with the toile and the tassels. The buffalo check, these are stunning. You may be in trouble with our new house, LOL!!!!

10. mishelle says:

Love the fabrics, even the old ones ;)

11. Jessica Sala-Bonin says:

Gorgeous country kitchen!

12. Sherry K. Martin says:

This is the cutest and love these colors!!! It has the perfect mix!! Beautiful so picture perfect : ))) Amazing job Sonya!!!!

13. Becky says:

This is one of the happiest kitchens I have ever seen! So different. Love the vintage flare and the fabrics are great. I’m so jealous!!!

14. Cindy says:

Another great job Sonya! That is the cutest, most colorful kitchen I’ve ever seen.
    Thanks so much for sharing at AMAZE ME MONDAY…
    Blessings,
    Cindy

15. Deborah says:

this is beautiful! love the colors!

16. Nancherrow says:

what a happy space!

love those red laquered cabinets
    and the mixes of prints and patterns

it’s a kitchen that reminds me a bit
    of Mary Engelbreit’s

would love for you to share
    at Fridays Unfolded this week!

Alison
    Nancherrow (formerly Stuff and Nonsense)

17. Love what you did and that kitchen is amazing! :)

18. OMG, I love it. Like Elizabeth I am such a lover of color and pattern, can’t have to much. Love the new fabric and it does match well with the already. You did an outstanding job, don’t you just love to sew! A very cherry and happy looking kitchen.

19. Kathy says:

This looks wonderful! Such vibrant colors – the new fabric compliments the decor perfectly! I will be featuring your post in this week’s Home and Garden Thursday,
    Kathy

20. Kim says:

The colors are gorgeous and I have to say that there are so many sweet touches, I could stare at the pictures all day long! :)