Lamp Makeover ~ Second Time’s the Charm

lamp Makeover (3)

This lamp sits in the corner of our living room and is currently enjoying it’s second color transformation.

When I found this little beauty at the thrift store several years ago the first thing that caught my eye was it’s height.

Have you noticed, if you move from a home with 8′ ceilings to a home with higher ceilings the first thing that seems out of place are your short lamps?

This lamp stands 34″ to the top of the shade which was a great size for our living room.
The second thing that appealed to me was the shape of the shade. An oval drum shade in perfect condition.

What I didn’t like was the color. Ugly was putting it mildly.

Lamp - Before

Here she is in all her original circa 1970′s glory.

Turquoise Lamp

I wrote about her first makeover in this post on lamps and lampshades. I wanted a vibrant color. I had recently painted our front door and wanted to see a bit more turquoise as you walked into the house.

The lamp was turquoise for about a year before I was ready to change the color. It stayed turquoise about 2 years before I couldn’t stand it anymore.

Lamp Makeover

As I remember it…I was supposed to be cleaning. I got to this corner of the living room and something came over me. I think it’s called a wild hair.

I dropped my dust cloth, took off the shade, grabbed the lamp base, headed immediately to the laundry room and started painting. Cleaning can wait.

Lamp Makeover

I wish I could tell you the colors I used. This all happened so fast it’s kind of a blur.

I do remember the lamp base got a coat of primer (which may or may not have been chalk paint). After the base dried I used several different paint colors I had on hand. A gray, a taupe and a combination of the two. I purposely left a bit of the primer showing because I liked the way it looked framing the raised pattern.

Lampshade Trim

Here you can really see the oval shape of the shade.

I used a woven, jute gimp I purchased locally (also available hereto cover the existing black trim.

Lampshade Makeover

I simply attached the jute gimp using hot glue.

Lamp Makeover (2)

Now I realize some may say she was prettier in turquoise and I can understand that. But for me, for now, this is much better.

Lamp Makeover

The red chair you see here, which is older than my son and quickly wearing out it’s second re-upholstery job, is on my to-do list for a slipcover.
Just waiting for cleaning day and a wild hair. :)

Sharing With: Stone Gable The Scoop, My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia Tuesday’s Treasurers, Coastal Charm Nifty Thrifty Tuesday, A Stroll Thru Life Inspire Me Tuesday, The Dedicated House Make It Pretty Monday, Savvy Southern Style WOW Us Wednesday, Domestically Speaking Power of Paint Party,

This entry was posted in Lamps and Lampshades, Living Rooms, Our Home. Bookmark the permalink.

19 Responses to Lamp Makeover ~ Second Time’s the Charm

1. Great makeover on the lamp. Love it. Hugs, Marty

2. martina says:

Great makeover Sonya…love that pretty base!!
    Another issue having high ceiling…hanging pictures…it took me 11 years to finally get it right in my living room lol!!

Great job! That lamp is a timeless size and shape you are smart to redo it. I always admire your furniture with multiple fabrics. Are you sticking with that look?

• Sonya says:

Thank you, Stacey! I am going to use multiple fabrics but right now my plan is to go a bit more neutral. We’ll see. Who knows what I’ll end up doing once I get around to it!

4. The lamp looks great with both its makeovers, and I’m certainly not one that would ever say you shouldn’t make over a makeover. :D

What a fantastic makeover Sonya. Love it!!

6. I love the new color and trim. After a while you just have to make a change, that’s why my furniture doesn’t sit in one place to long!

• Sonya says:

I used to love changing my furniture around! So much fun! Haven’t had the opportunity to do that much lately. This home doesn’t seem to have as many options as my older homes did. :)

7. Oh I love the new color and the jute trim…Yes, sometimes we get that “wild hair” and can’t wait to get something done!..Beautiful job Sonya!!

8. Pat says:

Beautiful! I love the trim on the shade too. As much as I love color, I tire easily of some. I know I’d rather paint than clean, especially dust, any day! :)

9. Kim says:

Okay–so this was a decorating black out? I think there’s a 12-step program for that!
    Hugs, Kim

10. Lu says:

Hi Sonya, love the new lamp color. Isn’t it funny how something can come over us while in the middle of doing something else, and we become inspired to do it right that moment! Love the detail on the base of the lamp, too. Pretty! ~Lu

11. Sonya, it’s so pretty now! You’ve got great vision. Thank you for sharing. You will be one of the features today at the Make it Pretty Monday party at The Dedicated House. Here is the link to this week’s party. http://thededicatedhouse.blogspot.com/2014/03/make-it-pretty-monday-week-91.html Hope to see your prettiness again at the bash! Toodles, Kathryn @TheDedicatedHouse

12. Sonya, it’s so pretty now. You’ve got great vision. Thank you for sharing. You will be one of the features today at the Make it Pretty Monday party at The Dedicated House. Here is the link to this week’s party. http://thededicatedhouse.blogspot.com/2014/03/make-it-pretty-monday-week-91.html Hope to see your prettiness again at the bash! Toodles, Kathryn @TheDedicatedHouse