Have you ever searched the world over to find the perfect comforter for your bedroom only to bring it home and discover it’s too short?
I’m not sure if the problem is the big, pillow top mattresses we have these days or the comforter people trying to save on fabric?
Either way, we tend to make do with the front side of the bed looking beautiful while the back side is hiked up showing the sheets.
Comforters are, of course, sewn together, usually with decorative stitching holding all the comfy layers in place. Taking it apart to add anything to lengthen it would be a nightmare.
For several of my clients, I’ve found the answer is to add a 6″ gathered ruffle, or a flat flange depending on their preference, to the outer edge of the comforter. Ultimately, how we attach this ruffle depends on how the comforter is made.
Today’s solution also involves a ruffle that’s a bit different because this ruffle is HUGE! Continue reading →
Today’s tutorial is from another pillow grouping I made for Bobette. Two floral pillows with 1/4″ piping made from the same fabric and an adorable plaid pillow featuring a center fabric covered button and a pleated corner flange.
Several years ago I accidentally discovered the fact that you can create some pretty amazing designs by playing around with stripes.
I was working with a large piece of fabric that featured a big bold stripe. As I tossed it aside, I noticed it folded in on itself to form a cool pattern. I started playing around with the fabric that eventually ended up being pillows for a boy’s bedroom room and game room.
Of course, manipulating stripes is nothing new – I see it all the time in quilt patterns – but it was new to me!
Recently, I had the opportunity to play around with a bold stripe again. This time using a bright pink stripe for Bobette’s living room. Continue reading →
I recently had the opportunity to make a baby duvet cover for a client’s grandaughter as she progressed from her crib to a toddler bed. The large scale floral was used as part of the crib bedding so we carried the pattern over to the duvet cover adding solid orange, green & fuchsia to the mix.